Monday, January 21, 2013

The Next Big Thing -- I was tagged!


Thanks to Karren Alenier, of The Steiny Road to Operadom, for tagging me in this “meme” for authors!


Ten Interview Questions for The Next Big Thing:

1. What is your working title of your book (or story)?   The Scabbard of Her Throat

2. Where did the idea come from for the book?  During the first months of being a parent, I was suddenly reading fairy tales for the first time in a long time, and found myself presented with many female archetypes and mythologies. My writing became influenced by these and some of the poems in this book feature more modern mythologies.

3. What genre does your book fall under?    Poetry

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? Mia Wasikowska would definitely need to be the sword swallower in the poem “The Sword Swallower Finds a New Calling,” and Chrissy Hynde might be good cast as the speaker of the poem “I Believe”. There are so many characters in this collection, I couldn’t go through and choose actors/actresses for all of the parts.

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?  The Scabbard of Her Throat considers the many selves we select or reject throughout a life, and reflects my recent fascination with the women and archetypes found in fairy tales, nursery rhymes, and classic children’s stories.

6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? The book will be published by The Word Works (http://www.wordworksdc.com/). Agencies don’t really tend to “represent” poets until they gain “rock star” status. And, even then, it’s rare.

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? The first draft probably took about three years. The final version took about six total years of drafting and revising.

8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? I will leave that up to the readers and reviewers. I honestly have no idea what other collections I would compare it to.

9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?  I just started writing in response to what I had been reading, and what I had been doing, and all of my new emotions and experiences as a new parent, and how all that made me consider the choices in my life that led me down this path. Once I had a dozen or so poems, I realized that I had a new book in progress.

10. What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?  I will say that I mix reality and fiction in these poems and people who know me might find it interesting – or, alternately, worrisome – to consider which is which throughout this collection.


Coming next week, I’ve tagged the following writers, who will answer their Ten Interview Questions for The Next Big Thing:

Joshua Gray, the founder, president & executive director of Gaiapoetopia, an all-volunteer global poetry advocacy organization -

Sarah Gutowski, Associate Professor of English at Suffolk County Community College on Long Island –

Devon Miller-Duggan, author of Pinning the Bird to the Wall, published by Tres Chicas Press –

Steven B. Rogers, a historian and research consultant based in Washington, DC. - http://www.lookingtowardportugal.blogspot.com/
  

No comments: